Grilling is a great way to eat healthier as it eliminates a lot of the fat found in other cooking methods such as frying and pan frying. Moreover, it gives food this great smokey flavor that makes anything taste better.
To help assist build a complete & healthy grilled meal My Plate shall be our guide.
For healthy protein we can use: fish (salmon, walleye), chicken breast, loin or sirloin of beef/pork
For healthy grains we can choose a starchy vegetable: grill corn on the cob, grilled sweet potato or just make some brown rice.
For healthy vegetables we can grill up some asparagus, zucchini, summer squash and onions or create vegetable skewers. Cheese can also be added in skewers (ex: halumi, mozzarella)
For healthy fruits we can have a fruit salad or even grill some pineapple with cinnamon.
Before you start grilling, make sure you clean the grill well. You can do so buy taking half an onion and running it over your hot grill before putting anything on it. Make sure you do the same when you are done as well.
Here are some recipes:
This recipe of Grilled Trout is from Cooking Light website
1 Tbps of fine sea salt
2 tsp of sugar
4 (7 oz) dressed rainbow trout
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 (1oz) bunches dill sprigs
2 limes thinly sliced
- 1. Combine 2 cups water, sea salt, and sugar in a shallow dish; add fish. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Prepare charcoal fire in a chimney starter; let coals burn until flames die down. Pour hot coals out of starter; pile on one side of grill. Coat grill grate with cooking spray; put grate in place over coals.
- 3. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper over fish flesh. Divide dill and lime slices evenly among fish cavities. Coat outside of fish with cooking spray. Place fish over direct heat; grill 4 minutes. Turn over; move to indirect heat. Grill 12 minutes or until done
- This recipe is for grilled vegetables:
- Ingredients1 summer squash cut into round circles1 medium red onion cut into thick pieces1 cup of cherry tomatoes1 cup small mushrooms2 Tbsp olive oil1 Tbsp garlic powder1 tsp sea saltFresh rosemaryPepperPreparation1. Mix all vegetables together with oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary. Let sit for 15-20 minutes2. Take as much skewers as needed and start putting vegetables on each skewer in a variety.3. Place skewers on direct heat. Grill for 5-10 minutes. Turn over andgrill 5-10 minutes or until done
- For dessert you may want to use this great pineapple recipe (clean the grill before you put the pineapple in order to prevent meaty taste and contamination):Ingredients1 medium size pineapple cut into circles or chunks1 Tbsp cinnamonPreparation1. Sprinkle cinnamon all over pineapple2. Place pineapple with cinnamon directly on the grill.Grill for 5-10 minutes or until done
- There you have it! Grilling like a pro with My Plate.
- Happy Fathers Day!