Here are some ways to avoid the holiday gains:
- Don't forget to exercise. Whether its before or after your family get together feast, don't forget to work-out. You can even try and take some family members with you for a walk/jog.
- Make sure you eat regularly throughout the day. Don't go a whole day without eating and then come to the main meal. You will be more likely to over eat.
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables.
- Make sure you bring a healthy dish with you. You would be surprised how well received a fruit salad would be as well as vegetables and dip.
- Decide that you will fill your plate only once. If you are still hungry, take only from the vegetables.
- A green salad as well as vegetable/chicken & vegetable soup can be a great appetizer. If your family typically does not have these items, that's what you can bring.
- Desserts can fit at the end of the meal. Just apply moderation by going only once and taking small portions of things you want.
- Do not drink your calories. Skip the soda, egg nog or milk-shake. Prefer water, tea or calorie free beverages.
- The fact that we stuff are turkey does not mean we also have to stuff ourselves. Eat slowly and when you feel full stop. Feeling uncomfortably full is of course uncomfortable. Try avoiding "food coma".
- As soon as you are done eating, excuse yourself from the table. The closer we are to food, the more odds we have of continuing to nibble on it.
- Enjoy the company! Catching up and being thankful is more important than your "plate-full"
I hope you enjoy this holiday season without the weight to prove it.